Life is busy and we all have a lot of responsibilities so it is easy for some home maintenance tasks can fall by the wayside. Often, we take simple things like hot water for granted but what we may have forgotten is that we depend on an appliance – our hot water heater – to work effectively and efficiently in order to provide hot water when we need it. Your water heater is an essential appliance so it is important to perform routine water heater maintenance to ensure that it continues to provide your household with hot water without any problems for years to come
Water Heater Maintenance Tips
- Regularly Check for Leaks
- Water heaters can leak and even if it’s just a small consistent drip, it can lead to substantial damage over time. Because of this, it’s important to inspect your water heater regularly for leaks and if you notice any, contact a professional for repairs ASAP.
- Annual Tank Flushing:
- Sediment and mineral deposits can build up in your water heater tank over time, reducing efficiency and shortening the lifespan of the unit. To reduce buildup and extend the lifespan of your water heater, flush the tank 1-2 times each year. This simple procedure removes sediment and debris, ensuring your water heater continues to function efficiently and deliver a constant stream of hot water.
- Set the Correct Temperature:
- Set your water heater to 120°F (49°C) for comfort, safety, and efficiency. This temperature is warm enough for most household needs, but not so hot that it can cause scalding.
- Test the Pressure Relief Valve:
- The pressure relief valve is a safety component of a water heater that prevents excessive pressure build-up. It should be tested regularly by lifting the lever and allowing a small amount of water to discharge. If the valve fails to release water or appears defective, it should be replaced by a professional.
- Schedule Professional Maintenance:
- In addition to your regular DIY maintenance tasks, it’s a good idea to get a professional to take a look at your water heater once a year. Experienced technicians have the knowledge and expertise to do a thorough inspection, clean important parts, and make any necessary adjustments to keep your water heater running smoothly.
Your water heater is a crucial part of your home that provides hot water for your daily needs. To ensure its continued performance, regular maintenance is essential. By following these essential maintenance tips and contacting a plumber when needed for water heater maintenance and repairs, you can extend the life of your water heater and enjoy an uninterrupted supply of hot water all year round.